Johanna Mikitka Simon, PE
With more than 17 years of geotechnical and geostructural engineering experience, Johanna Simon has played a major role in project design engineering, field observation, instrumentation, testing during construction, and project management in geotechnical and geostructural projects. She currently manages the daily operations of Schnabel’s Infrastructure Monitoring Services (IMS).
As a Field Representative, Designer, and Project Manager, Johanna has worked on projects involving shallow and deep foundations, earth and water retention systems, underpinning, slope stabilization, dam stabilization and rehabilitation, ground improvement methods, and geotechnical instrumentation and monitoring. She has particular depth of experience in load testing, instrumentation system design and infrastructure monitoring, and field observation and coordination.
Being an active member of the Deep Foundations Institute (DFI), Johanna maintains awareness of the state of practice in these specialty areas. She is a Member of the Testing and Evaluation Committee and Secretary of DFI’s Landslides and Slope Stability Committee and serves as Vice-Chair of the Women in Deep Foundations Committee. She has also co-authored and presented several papers on a hybrid soil-nail/tieback wall, micropiles, and a retaining wall with geofoam back fill.
Among her recent projects:
- Long X Bridge Monitoring / Watford City, ND
- Long Bridge Turbidity Monitoring / Washington, DC
- Yeager Airport Instrumentation Monitoring / Charleston, WV
- Yeager Airport Runway 5 RSA Reconstruction / Charleston, WV
- Amtrak Instrumentation Monitoring / North East, MD
- Wells Dam Instrumentation / Chelan, WA
- DelDOT Governor Printz Interceptors / Wilmington, DE
- Belmont Behavioral Hospital Settlement Monitoring / Philadelphia, PA
- AQUA Pennsylvania Reservoir System Monitoring / Multiple Locations, PA
- Voestalpine Steel Plant Instrumentation Monitoring / Corpus Christi, TX
- VCUHS Children’s Hospital of Richmond / Richmond, VA