Poe Dam is a concrete gravity structure located in the Plumas National Forest. Completed in 1958, the dam diverts water to penstocks for power generation. The gated main spillway includes four, 50-ft wide by 41-ft high radial gates which required rehabilitation and trunnion pin replacement.
To complete these repairs, temporary bulkheads were required to dewater each bay. Schnabel’s dewatering system design includes a patented floating reverse needle beam system as the upstream cofferdam, and a non-floating modular design for the downstream cofferdam. Gate rehabilitation and trunnion pin replacement was completed over four construction seasons using the moveable upstream and downstream cofferdams on each bay in turn.